Go Easy on the Jolof Chicken


Even before we left the United States, Papa Dia warned us to take it easy on the food when we arrived in Senegal. He kept saying he knew we would go overboard on the Jollof--I had no idea what he was talking about; I am a picky eater with no plans to do more than taste the Jollof, or so I thought.

We started the day visiting Papa Dia's eyeglass office--one of six in Senegal. Papa introduced same-day optical services to Senegal, where those who needed them could have their glasses within 24 hours and most common prescriptions within an hour. As I listened to him describe all the work it took to make this happen and the pushback he received for giving these services to children for free, my heart was flooded with guilt for all that I take for granted. I have almost as many pairs of glasses as I have shoes, and I am a major lover of shoes. 

Walking out of the office, we were greeted by a group of boys, and they completely humbled me even more than my guilt. Papa shared that some families are so poor they cannot keep their children. When parents are unable to take care of their children, they turn them over to the Koranic School to raise them and teach them about the Koran. While I never saw any similarly situated girls, many little boys were not attending school but instead were sent out to beg for money and food. My heart crumbled as I looked into the eyes of these young boys, many of whom were brilliant, witty, and adorable. My initial instinct was to round them up and call Tony to let him know we would be adding about 20 or so boys to our family. However, even with my desire to help, I knew this approach would not be sustainable. This was the start of my stomach ache...

Leaving Sen Lunette, Papa Dia's eyeglass office, we began our six (6) hour journey to Podor. This journey was more like 8 hours. On the trip, we stopped two times for gas; the first time, I purchased some snacks. The second time got me; there were french fries and what smelled analogous to Chester's/ Popeye's/ Stuckey's chicken that we find at gas stations on the cross-country road in the States. Again, Papa Dia reminds us to "go easy on the chicken." Three of us purchased chicken (I was one of them); one tasted but did not eat, I ate one piece, and the other purchaser ate everything. I was fine, initially--I went easy on it; it was spicy but good.

Unfortunately, we didn't have time to change our clothes before heading to the opening service for the Baaba Maal concert. We made the best of it, and given my fear of public bathrooms--particularly the squatty potty version--I was doing all I could to wait until we arrived at our "resort" (a term I use very loosely). As his special guests for the evening, Baaba Maal invited us to his compound after the opening. A fellow traveler gave me a mint, which upset the apple cart. I had to find a toilet in the compound. Papa Dia introduced me to a few people who would help me find one. There was a women's section with a bathroom, and I could use it--but it didn't work, and I had to find someone to help me solve the problem as I had made a MESS. I did what I could to clean it up, but the toilet needed servicing. The women in the suite were nonplussed about it, and I was gone so long I heard Papa trying to find me.  

I explained what had happened, the gift I had left, and that it was likely time to go before we were put out! We laughed as we rejoined the group- there were so many people who looked like me, and I wouldn't be missed or easily found! I tried to act normal--as I scolded myself for stepping over the line.

Papa Dia's "Go easy on the chicken" really meant, DON'T EAT THE CHICKEN. My system needed time to prepare for all the spices--notwithstanding their deliciousness. Although a bit embarrassing, I learned a valuable lesson again... When attending a public event, only eat what you know your body is accustomed to digesting as not all gifts are appreciated-even with a flower. 

NOTE: This was written 12/8 @ 11P, but without good internet connectivity, I had to wait until I arrived Stateside to clean it up and publish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SENEGAL Unscrambled

Getting there… if you can!

Bienvenue - Senegalese Teranga