The Last Supper USA R&B Greatest Hits

This was the best supper club in town; we danced and sang with the entertainers. While they spoke little English, their diction and articulation while singing the greatest R&B hits were impeccable! When they did their rendition of Black & White by Michael Jackson, I heard myself singing along like I was on stage. I really needed this outing; I relaxed and settled into this experience. I had tried to get out of going--it was a long day, Gorée took a lot out of me; I needed so  downtime.  Papa and Astu wouldn't accept no for an answer, so I made it work and was grateful I did.

The food was excellent- it looked appetizing and was seasoned to perfection! It was a great meal to end my journey. More than good food, was the amazing company.  As I relaxed and enjoy my meal and the entertainment, I watched Papa and Astu, our hosts, dancing and other members of our team enjoying our time together after a really long, and incredibly hard day.  This is Senegal Teranga.

Reflecting on my time and the meals I've had in Senegal, I realize it has been some of the most enriching moments of my life.  While it is an odd comparison, this visit, for me, was almost analogous to my first day on the campus of Hampton Institute/University. Having grown up in Denver, when I arrived on Hampton's campus, it was so awesome to experience instant acceptance, and realtime inclusion. This was exactly what I have experience on this Senegalese trip. As I prepare to return home, it is like the last evening of our a family reunion--I hope my new family stays in touch and I look forward to the next time we meet!


Au revoir! Adieu! À bientôt! À la prochaine!

(my Duolingo lessons are serving me well!😘)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SENEGAL Unscrambled

Getting there… if you can!

Bienvenue - Senegalese Teranga