Bandia Safari, St. Jean De Vieux Hospital, and of course The Great Mother

 

We had a jammed-pack day scheduled, and we began with a visit to the Reserve de Bandia Safaria. I admit I was anxious about being so close to wild animals. I watch too much television, and a couple of nights before flying to Senegal, I watched a docu-drama where an elephant charged a jeep. All of my safari thoughts were about how we avoid pissing off the animals so they wouldn't charge our vehicle. Notwithstanding my concerns regarding safari animal charging, I stand ready with my phone camera to capture native African wildlife in photos! We pulled up to the reserves, and several groups were already preparing to tour; this put me at ease, as the numbers were in our favor, and there would likely be no actual incidents.
Once again, we were the only predominantly-black group, and I noticed the guides talking amongst themselves, each vying for our group!  It was so cool--our guide never stopped smiling; my SEG is obviously contagious! Our guide used his best English and asked many questions about how to say different things. Most of the time, Papa Dia filled in the gaps. Still, I was proud of my limited French (I had started taking lessons in Duolingo) and was able to contribute occasionally. Ironically, during the safari, we discussed the cultural norms in Senegal and how they show up even in the animal kingdom - perhaps the culture took its cues from the kingdom.  Our guide pointed out the female versus male animals; my whole life, I had never heard or seen the differences pointed out to us.  Did you know the male giraffe has darker patterns than the female? Are you aware of male ostrich's aggressive tendencies?  
 
Even with these interesting tidbits, we talked about some similarities between the animal kingdom and humans.  In Senegal, there are more female species than males.  As noted by our guide, the female species all congregate together and support each other as they look after their offspring together, while the male species have their "run of the field." Of course, my description is laced with a bit of judgment as the rational basis that we were given for the need of the males to have "run of the field" is the limited number of male species relative to female numbers. It was too early in the morning to engage how I wanted to, so I saved the discussion for another day.  We are just starting our explorative journey--we have several more days together; I suppose I shouldn't piss the guys off too soon.

Our next stop was the St. Jean De Dieux Hospital in Thies, Senegal. I was utterly unprepared for what we would see during this visit, yet I really tried to have no expectations. We started with an introduction from the hospital CEO and a lot of press; I was still getting used to Papa Dia's celebrity status.  Notwithstanding the press, which was all Black and was intrigued seeing Black Americans in Senegal, what we were about to see would leave me heartbroken... After a presentation about the hospital and the number of patients it manages, providers and staff, we toured the various departments and met some of the providers. What remains imprinted on my brain and heart are the small rooms of 10 beds with ten patients along with some of their family members waiting to learn more about their loved ones, along with other sick patients waiting for a bed. The maternity ward was the toughest to visit. Again, a small room with ten beds of pregnant women waiting to give birth. I was grateful there was decent air conditioning to help make the women as comfortable as the circumstances allowed. The hardest part of this experience is the abject poverty that you not only see, but you just feel it. However, I am impressed by those impacted who are not sad or down, just in pain from their ailments.  Our crew was all sad, but the locals in the hospital for treatment had a joie de vivre I long to have.  At that moment, I made a commitment to myself to do better. 

 

Our final and most emotional stop was a visit to the Dia Compound. Papa and his brothers built a house for their mother brick by brick, and it was something to behold. While her home was charming, I was interested in meeting the woman who had raised a son who moved to Colorado and built an organization to support other African immigrants and help build a bridge to help Black Americans and Africans understand each other and partner more effectively. This was a man I'd known for less than 5 years, and when my mother died, he showed up at my home just to check on me, while folks I have known for more than 30 years never bothered to even call. I have watched him look after all of us who support the African Leadership Group like family.  I wanted to know more about his family and the remarkable woman who raised him. She raised him and his 13 siblings, raised more than 200 other kids, and supported the entire neighborhood.  She really is the great mother. I loved her immediately and felt her adopt me as she had all of the other motherless souls she has met over the years.

With more than thirty people in her home, in addition to our delegation, each one told a story of how the Great Mother poured into their lives and made them better humans. This was a scene from a Hallmark Mothers' Day movie, and I wanted her to feel this love every day.  I found an Awareness Avenue hug ring that I brought to give her, and when I did, she shrieked with delight, and I couldn't stop crying tears of joy. Today has been a full and emotionally charged day. I am grateful for this experience and delighted to have met the Queen Dia, she was definitely worth the price of administion. Papa, his siblings, and all who know her, are blessed to have her in their lives, and now I count myself one of the fortunate humans to know and be a beneficiary of her love. 

Today was a full day, with lots of emotions to unpack and a realization of all that I take for granted without much thought. As I think about all the people we met and interacted with, I know they don't feel sorry for themselves or want anyone else to do so. I can't help but want to make it better--the "it" I have no clue, yet I know there has to be something I can do.  Being here in this place, seeing all that I'm seeing, and experiencing all "the things," there is a reason and a purpose.  I will continue to pray for guidance and understanding about where I should be and what I should do.  Meanwhile, I'm working on being content in my circumstances, and all is well with my soul!

NOTE: This was written 12/7 @ 9P, but without good internet connectivity, I had to wait until I arrived Stateside to clean it up and publish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SENEGAL Unscrambled

Getting there… if you can!

Bienvenue - Senegalese Teranga